Automotive

Hair Styles

Hollywood

Love Life Style

Red View: Sir Alex and Phil Jones on City, derby goals video, free wallpaper + more

Friday, October 21, 2011


SIR ALEX: SUNDAY'S GAME IS FOR THE FANS

The manager answers Red View's questions ahead of the Manchester derby...

Do you know when we last had a derby with both teams in the top two?
I would imagine it's the first one since 1968 when City won the league and United were second and won the European Cup. So 43 years ago? But it's what we said we expected at the start of the season. We expected City to be up there. Going into the derby with City top and us second is probably a fair reflection of both teams' form.

How significant could this derby be in terms of the title race? 
First and foremost it's a derby - you've got United versus City, and supporters are hoping they'll go into work on Monday morning with the bragging rights until the next game comes around. That's what a derby is all about, it doesn't matter where we're placed in the league now. Although, obviously, the significance of the game and the result could register at the end of the season in terms of who wins the title.

How will you manage the selection headache - is it a matter of rotation?
The squad situation has been there for quite a while now and my players understand that. For the Liverpool match, the players who were left out knew where we were coming from. The City match is different, we're at home, and there will be 23 or 24 players in the squad wanting to play. We've got three injured at the moment - Rafael, Tom Cleverley and Darron Gibson - but all the rest want to play. That's a big difficulty for me - I will have to leave five or six fit players sitting in the stands.

Audio & video -  Red Voices podcast | Old Trafford 2009 | Red Letters: Man City


JONES RELISHING DERBY DAY

Phil Jones would love to feature in his first Old Trafford debut on Sunday...

I've played in the Blackburn/Burnley derby and that was pretty intense but I would imagine Sunday's Manchester derby will top that one. All the papers are hyping it up. That's natural - it's a derby. It's massive to both clubs and it means a lot to the fans and we hope we can get one over on them and make our fans happy.

At the same time though, we're just treating it as another game. I think all areas of the pitch are going to be key on Sunday and we need to concentrate and focus on every part. I'll be delighted if I'm involved and I'd be happy to play wherever the manager wants me to.

I'm delighted with how things have gone for me since I joined. I've always believed in my ability. If I didn't I wouldn't be here now. I don't think I've surprised myself in terms of how well things have gone, but I'm surprised at how quickly I've managed to play a certain amount of games. Whether I play or not on Sunday the most important thing is we win. City have had a lot of money to spend and have bought some quality players in, but if we concentrate on what we're good at, I'm sure we'll get the three points.

More: United v City preview | Nani can be City's nemesis | Ferdinand fit


McGUINNESS: TAKE IT AS RED!

Former United manager Wilf McGuinness believes the Reds will not only come out on top in the derby on Sunday but also over the course of the season.

City make the short trip to Old Trafford with a two-point lead at the Barclays Premier League summit, courtesy of a convincing 4-1 beating of Aston Villa in their last outing. Although Roberto Mancini's side are making great strides and must be considered as strong contenders for the title, McGuinness feels Sir Alex's side will leapfrog their neighbours at the weekend with victory.

"I'm very confident," McGuinness told ManUtd.com. "Our fans are tremendous. But City's fans have still got to learn - they even turn their back on a game, what a waste of money that is! We will win at Old Trafford and I think we'll play really well too. City won't like coming here I tell you, no way."

McGuinness, whose son Paul coaches United's Under-18s, feels City still need to develop to match the level they reached in the 1960s, when they won the league in the same season Sir Matt Busby's side lifted the European Cup.

"I knew all the City players in those days," he recalled. "Colin Bell, Mike Summerbee, Tony Book. They were terrific guys and we still get on very well, which is nice.

"I think City have got better players this season than they've possibly had since the 1960s, and I believe they will make in-roads and definitely be a top-three team this season because of the players they've got.

"However, I think being top is new to City and that may play a part in the end. They may be top but, in the end, I think we will finish above them and win the league."

More -  Sir Alex's Olympic concerns | Ryan is 100 per cent Red | Lindegaard: Title race is open

 

This email was sent by:Manchester United
Sir Matt Busby Way Old Trafford, Manchester, M16 0RA, United Kingdom. This email is designed to be viewed in HTML email clients - if you cannot see the images above, please open an HTML-compatible email account and then register the new address with ManUtd.com. If this email has been forwarded to you by a friend, please register with ManUtd.com to receive the MU Foundation newsletter directly in future. The articles and images in this newsletter do not necessarily represent the views of Manchester United FC. If you do not wish to receive this email please send a blank email from your subscription address to unsubscribe@manutd.co.uk. We are committed to respecting your privacy. Please see our Privacy Policy. Please DO NOT reply to this email.

0 comments:

Post a Comment