Automotive

Hair Styles

Hollywood

Love Life Style

Red View: Giggs on diamonds, Anderson Q and A, Chicharito goals video and more

Friday, October 26, 2012


GIGGS: DIAMONDS ARE NOT FOREVER

Ryan Giggs insists width will always be important at Manchester United, despite the manager's recent decision to employ a diamond formation in games against Newcastle United, CFR Cluj and SC Braga.

The diamond eschews wide men in favour of more bodies in the central channel but Giggs, who was perhaps the archetypal modern winger for more than a decade, says there's no need for fans to panic. Wingers, he says, are here to stay.

"I think it's important to have flexibility," he told ManUtd.com and PA Sport. "In the game against Newcastle at St James' Park, that first 20 minutes was probably the best football we've played all season. That was with the diamond.

"With Antonio missing the game and Ashley Young injured we were short of width a little bit. So the diamond made sense and it means we have that flexibility now.

"Wayne can drop deeper, Shinji Kagawa can play in the majority of midfield positions, Tom Cleverley can play behind the strikers... we have the sort of personnel where we can chop and change and play different systems.

"Maybe we'll need to use it in some big games - you might see it in Europe - but United, more often than not, will play with wingers."

More: Full article on ManUtd.com | Kagawa sidelined with injury  |  Sir Alex aware of Blues threat


ANDO ANSWERS THE FANS

Brazilian midfielder Anderson responds to questions posted on the Reds' official Facebook page, facebook.com/manchesterunited...

Who inspired you to play football? - Josh Abraham
It was always in me - I always wanted to succeed at football, not just for myself but for my family as well. My family did not have a lot when I was growing up and I wanted to help look after them and provide for them. So I drove myself on wanting to succeed.

Who was your favourite player when you were growing up? - James Reardon
I had two - Rivaldo and Ronaldinho. I admired Rivaldo for his technique, his passing and his aggressive way of playing. Ronaldinho has great skills and he is a great guy. He was always happy on the pitch and always had a big heart.

Why did you cut off your hair? - David Khan
[Laughs] I don't know! I like my hair now, but I have to say I'm going to go back to my old style because I miss it; my mum told me I had to cut it! Next season I'll definitely grow it back.

Who is the best player you have played with and against? - Lin Ginger
The best I have played with is Cristiano Ronaldo. He is unbelievable - I've never seen another player like him. The best I've played against is 'Lass' [Lassana Diarra]. He was at Portsmouth for a bit and then Real Madrid. He was very tough to play against, but I always enjoyed matches against him.

What's your best moment as a Red? - Shadrach Nyarkoh Mensah
The Champions League final in Moscow [in 2008]. I came on right at the end of extra-time and never touched the ball - I just took a penalty! It was nerve-wracking but the feeling when we won was amazing. The picture I have in my mind of that night is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

More: #IamUnited | Chicharito earns acclaim | Red Voices podcast


FOCUS ON MICHAEL KEANE 

MUTV's regular feature puts United's younger players under the spotlight...

First team played for?
South Manchester. I was playing football with my friend [and brother Will] in a local field and he asked us to come along to his team and we stayed there for two years.

Signed for United...
I was just playing for South Manchester in little tournaments and I think we got scouted four times before we actually came. Once we came here, we just never looked back.

First player you idolised...
Rio Ferdinand was the main one when I was young. I always looked up to him.

What are your strengths?
I would say my composure on the ball and my heading.

Biggest achievement...
There's a few of them - winning the FA Youth Cup as it hadn't been done for a while before we won it and obviously making my debut for United [at Aldershot]. I couldn't choose between them.

What is your career highlight so far?
I would say playing against Newcastle [in the Capital One Cup this season]. After the game, we knew we had done well as a young team and that was the best feeling.

Why do you love football?
Just coming in every day and this is what you love to do. You want to do it for the rest of your life and don't want to go back to a job where you can't play football.

What don't you like about football?
Interviews! [Laughs] Probably getting tickets for people. It's a bit annoying as you want to focus on the game but you have to go in and sort those tickets out. If I had to say anything, that would be it.

What are your career ambitions?
To play for the Manchester United first team and, you never know, maybe the England senior team in the future.

More - Sir Alex tackles striker problem | Evans: Reds have the edge | Win prizes with your pics

 

This email was sent by:Manchester United
Sir Matt Busby Way Old Trafford, Manchester, M16 0RA, United Kingdom. This email is designed to be viewed in HTML email clients - if you cannot see the images above, please open an HTML-compatible email account and then register the new address with ManUtd.com. If this email has been forwarded to you by a friend, please register with ManUtd.com to receive the MU Foundation newsletter directly in future. The articles and images in this newsletter do not necessarily represent the views of Manchester United FC. If you do not wish to receive this email please send a blank email from your subscription address to unsubscribe@manutd.co.uk. We are committed to respecting your privacy. Please see our Privacy Policy. Please DO NOT reply to this email.

0 comments:

Post a Comment