Automotive

Hair Styles

Hollywood

Love Life Style

Red View: Smalling interview, Real Madrid video, De Gea wallpaper + more

Friday, March 1, 2013


SMALLING WARY OF CANARIES

Memories of Manchester United's 1-0 loss at Norwich City are still fresh in the mind for Chris Smalling, who is wary of lightning striking twice as the Reds host the Canaries at Old Trafford on Saturday.

The Reds defender played a full match at Carrow Road in November but could not prevent Anthony Pilkington’s 60th-minute header knocking United off the top of the table at the time and inflicting a third defeat of the Barclays Premier League campaign.

Impressively, Sir Alex Ferguson’s men have not lost in the top flight since and are currently 12 points ahead of title rivals Manchester City. Despite such admirable form, Smalling is taking nothing for granted, although he hopes to make the most of home advantage.

“I remember the Norwich away game really well,” Chris told United Review. “We had a lot of chances but couldn’t take them and they took one of their very few chances and punished us for it.

“They showed that they’re a very hard-working side and can play a lot of football as well, so we’ll definitely have to be wary. I think losing at their place was a bit of a wake-up call for us, so we’ll be firing when they come to Old Trafford.

“We fancy our chances against anybody at home, in the cup competitions or the league. It might be tight in the first half but if we keep moving the ball, most teams tire in the second half as the Old Trafford pitch is so big. We’re used to it, so more often than not we get the result we want.”

With the big Champions League game against Real Madrid just days away, Sir Alex is expected to rest a number of players against Norwich. However, any talk of complacency is wide of the mark for Smalling, who is focused and raring to go.

“Everybody’s a bit more cautious after last season, when there were only a handful of games left but we threw away eight points. We're determined to maintain the gap this time. I don’t think the manager would be too happy if we didn’t! And we’d be kicking ourselves.”

More: Van Persie fitFans in the frame at Norwich game | Pre-match podcast


REDS LEGENDS RELISH MADRID RETURN MATCH

Red View gets an expert take on Tuesday's second leg against Real Madrid, from Treble-winning strike duo Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole...

How do you think the tie is poised?
AC: For me, it’s on a knife edge. I was at the first game in Madrid and it was a really good game, a tactical battle. I don’t think too many people would have been disappointed if it had been the final, it was a top-quality Champions League tie. In the first 20 minutes I think Real came out to try and put the game to bed - they hit the post and De Gea made a couple of saves. But of course Welbeck got the away goal, Ronaldo equalised and it ended up finishing 1-1. Some people will think the away goal is a big advantage but I think the state of play is still 50/50. I’m looking forward to Tuesday’s game.

How should we approach the game?
DY:
I think the onus is on us now, to really try and take the game to Madrid. Hopefully we’ll be able to do that. We have the home advantage but as Andy says, 1-1 from the first leg is always a precarious scoreline. The tie is really in the balance and I just hope we come out and play the type of football we’re capable of playing and put Madrid on the back foot. We need to do what they did to us, certainly early on, in the first leg. We need to get the crowd behind us and really turn the screw.

AC: I think we approach every European game at Old Trafford in exactly the same way. We’re the home team and we should go out to try and win it. I’ve been involved in games like these and we need a good start. If we can keep it tight for the first 15 or 20 minutes and nick ourselves a goal in that period, that would be great. But if it goes the other way, and we have to open up a little bit more, than a team like Real Madrid could exploit the space. Watching their game at Barcelona the other day, they were soaking up pressure and then hitting their hosts on the counter-attack. Before you knew it, they were 1-0 up and then 2-0 up. They can afford to come to Old Trafford and play that way again because they know they’ve got quality players up front. So we can’t afford to go too gung-ho.

What do you think the atmosphere will be like?
DY: I think it will be electric – it’s a European night at Old Trafford and we know what the fans here bring to such an occasion. Real Madrid are obviously a huge club, we’ve got Ronaldo coming back… we could have probably sold this game out three times over. It’s one of those games that everybody wants to be a part of and the type of game that players live for. These are the games when you really want to express what football is all about. These moments don’t come along very often and when you do, you’ve got to grasp them with both hands.

What do you remember of the matches you played against Real Madrid in 2000?
AC: I watched the clips two weeks ago actually. We got a draw, 0-0, at the Bernabeu in the first leg and were disappointed not to have won the game. When I watched the clips, I wondered how we didn’t win over there and I’ll never know how we went 3-0 down at home. We ended up losing the home game 3-2 and I was left to think ‘how?’ But things like that can happen in Europe and that’s why you’ve got to be constantly switched on.

More on Madrid: First-leg report Welbeck keeps his cool | Ronaldo 'emotional'


VALENCIA'S AMAZING JOURNEY


Antonio Valencia’s upbringing in a tiny village in Ecuador couldn’t be more contrasting to the life he leads today..

What do you remember about coming to England for the first time?
It was amazing. I got here at about seven o’clock in the evening and it was extremely cold. I asked myself: ‘What am I doing here? This is not for me!’ But, over time, I have become accustomed to it.

It must have been very different for you?
Yes, completely different. I come from a town where it’s very warm, and to come to Manchester, where the weather is really cold, was a big shock. Fortunately, everything turned out perfectly.

You come from a small village in a rainforest. How different is your life now, living in a big city?
It has changed completely. I proudly come from the east of Ecuador, from a very quiet town, surrounded by nature. You know everyone. Coming to a city as big as Manchester, one that loves football, is very different. Thank God, I have settled just fine and that’s the main thing.

What do you like most about Manchester?
I like it when United play and when I quietly head home!

You’ve become a dad since being at United – has that changed you as a person and, if so, how?
My life has changed completely. I am totally dedicated to my daughter, to my family. Everything I do is for her, so she can have everything.

Tell us about where you grew up in Ecuador, and what your childhood was like…
Even though we led a modest life, we had everything we needed. It was a quiet childhood. My father was a hard-working man and devoted to his six children. My town is very small, we all knew each other. It’s very small, everything revolves around the work in the fields and oil.

You have five brothers and a sister. How was it to grow up with so many siblings?
It was nice, because when we had a party we didn’t need to invite any friends as we were a big family! The best was when we got home and we all got together and we talked to our father and mother. We were a very close family.

Are you still close to your family? Do they still live in Ecuador?
Yes. My brothers have their own families and lives now. I am here, and they are in Ecuador, I think we have all made lives for ourselves.

Finally, what is a typical day like in the life of Antonio Valencia?
I wake up at 8.30am and I come here to Carrington to train. I try to pick up my daughter, at 3pm. We then go out and we might have something to eat before we go home. I used to study, but not so much anymore. I spend time with my family, with my wife. Those are the moments I most enjoy.

More: De Gea is Player of the Month | Carrick hails 'Mr Manchester United' | Sharpe tells all

 

This email was sent by:Manchester United
Sir Matt Busby Way Old Trafford, Manchester, M16 0RA, United Kingdom. This email is designed to be viewed in HTML email clients - if you cannot see the images above, please open an HTML-compatible email account and then register the new address with ManUtd.com. If this email has been forwarded to you by a friend, please  register with ManUtd.com to receive the Red View newsletter directly in future. The articles and images in this newsletter do not necessarily represent the views of Manchester United FC. If you do not wish to receive this email please send a blank email from your subscription address to unsubscribe@manutd.co.uk. We are committed to respecting your privacy. Please see our Privacy Policy. Please DO NOT reply to this email.

0 comments:

Post a Comment