Automotive

Hair Styles

Hollywood

Love Life Style

Red View: Goals vs Villa video, Chicharito interview, 1968 wallpaper + more

Friday, November 12, 2010

header


PHELAN CALLS FOR AWAY DISPLAY

Mike Phelan is hopeful the players can put on a show for United fans to "shout about" at Villa Park on Saturday.

The Reds have won just one of six league away games this season and the assistant manager is keen to see that tally doubled against Gerard Houllier’s Aston Villa.

"Players and staff all understand we need to start winning games away from home," said Phelan on Friday.

"We want to put on a performance which gives our travelling supporters something to shout about. If we approach the game right, and we get the little bit of luck that you need away from home, then we can push forward."

Statistics are certainly on United’s side in Saturday's fixture, with 11 wins in 18 Premier League meetings at Villa Park. The last league defeat there for Sir Alex Ferguson's side was on the opening day of 1995/96, when the boss fielded "kids" like David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville. The latter pair are still at the club, of course, 14 years after defying the critics to win the Double in that same season.

“That just shows you the progress we make here," said Phelan. "Those kids are grown men now and they’ve won a lot of things since. They’re eager to keep doing that and keep winning. That's what we're looking for. We’re probably going to introduce a new batch of kids over the next few years so we’ll see what happens."

More: Carrick seeks cathartic win | Don't write us off | Evra, Rooney updates

Red View exclusive video: 13 goals at Villa Park


EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: CHICHARITO

Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez reflects on how his life has changed, from almost giving up on football to becoming United's first Mexican player…

How would you describe yourself to United fans as a person and a footballer?
I enjoy playing football and I always want to be a happy person. I’m quite quick and I like to score goals, though the team is always most important to me. I’m a family man, I approach everything in my life in a positive way, and I want to take full advantage of the opportunity that God has given me. That means working hard, being professional on and off the field, and enjoying myself.

When did you first hear that United were interested in signing you?
[United’s head scout] Jim Lawlor spoke to me about a year ago. He said he’d been watching me play for Chivas de Guadalajara and told me United were interested, so I was very excited. Before that he had spoken to my father, and when my father told me the news I cried because I couldn’t believe it. As a kid in Mexico, my dream was to play for the best team in Mexico and then move to Europe. But to be told not just any European team, but Manchester United, were interested, was unbelievable.

It’s amazing that you considered quitting football altogether 18 months ago – can you tell us about that?
I was not getting many opportunities in the Chivas first team, which led me to ask myself, "Is this the life I want to lead?" I questioned whether I was good enough to make it as a footballer. But I talked with my family, who said I needed to be patient, work hard and enjoy all the things involved in the game: not just playing in matches but going to training, resting, media work – everything that comes with this profession. When you’re playing it’s about learning to accept the bad times as well as enjoying the good. Confidence is all part of football. Nobody here is going to play 38 great games a season, we’ll all have good and bad days. But the key when you’re not playing so well is to find out why and to work on those aspects of the game that need improvement so that you can get better day by day.

It’s been a remarkable couple of years for you since then…
Yes, it’s really amazing how much my whole life has changed: I played a lot of games in Mexico, went to a World Cup and now have this incredible opportunity at United. It’s unbelievable and I’m thankful to all the people who believed in me, especially my family, without whom I would not be here.

Look out for the full Chicharito Q&A on ManUtd.com next Wednesday.

More:  Watch Chicharito in award-winning action | Download wallpaper 

Match Pack - Aston Villa vs United


SORRY TO SEE SOLSKJAER GO

MUTV's David Stowell blogs on this week's news that Reds legend and Reserves boss Ole Gunnar's going home to Norway, to manage Molde...

As a big fan of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, I'll be sad when he leaves United in January.

I remember when I first met Ole. He was funny, humble and focused. You could see the determination etched on his youthful face. He wanted to succeed (which back then meant getting fit to play again). I interviewed him when he retired and he was emotional but sensible. He knew he had a chance to re-establish himself in football and put that intelligence into play as the boss. He was grateful for the opportunity but admitted apprehension. He admits a lot. That's his way.

In a world where some fans feel a big void between footballers and reality, Ole's a genuine guy who is all sweetness and light until he wants to make his point – then he makes it. That summed up his playing career too. Many times he found himself on the bench, behind other frontmen in the pecking order. Instead of throwing the toys out the pram, he made his point with his shooting boots. Forest away, anyone?

Now, after over 60 competitive games in charge of the Reserves, he feels it's time to move on. Football's coming home for one of United's most gentlemanly figures. Ole's going back to where his incredible football journey really kicked off. United's loss is Molde's gain, but I have a funny feeling we've not seen the last of him. Good luck Ole.

More: Ole admits Reds wrench | Solskjaer accepts Norwegian post

Download 1968 European Champions wallpaper

This email has been sent to you by ManUtd.com, Manchester United, Sir Matt Busby Way, Old Trafford, Manchester M16 0RA, England. This email is designed to be viewed in HTML email clients - if you cannot see the images above, please open an HTML-compatible email account and then register the new address with ManUtd.com. If this email has been forwarded to you by a friend, please register with ManUtd.com to receive Red View directly from next week. The articles and images in this newsletter do not necessarily represent the views of Manchester United. If you do not wish to receive this email please send a blank email from your subscription address to unsubscribe@manutd.co.uk. We are committed to respecting your privacy. Please see our Privacy Policy. Please DO NOT reply to this email.

0 comments:

Post a Comment