Automotive

Hair Styles

Hollywood

Love Life Style

Red View: Boss on Scholes, Carrick, Vidic, Smalling video and more

Friday, March 23, 2012


SCHOLES CAN CALL THE TUNE 

Sir Alex could ask Paul Scholes to orchestrate another vital Barclays Premier League win when Fulham come to Old Trafford on Monday night.

The veteran campaigner gave one of his best-ever performances against the Cottagers back in 2009 and also scored his only goal of last season at their West London ground. With Martin Jol's side likely to try and keep things tight, Scholes may be asked to unlock the defence and provide the inspiration in midfield.

"He can dictate the tempo of games very well and the rhythm of our game," said the boss. "He has the experience which helps him do that. He has a terrific football brain. The reason he wanted to retire was because he wanted to play 50 games, not 25, he didn't think that was enough.

"I said to him at the time he would play 25 games for me no problem, but he didn't want that. Maybe he felt that was maybe me not giving him enough appreciation. What I was trying to do was look at it in a sensible way and think what do you get out of a 37-year-old? How many games can you get out of him?

"The way we control Ryan Giggs [in terms of games he plays] - he's different from the rest and we're treating Paul Scholes exactly the same now. There will be games where we maybe leave him out, but we also know the games he can play in."

More: Boss responds to Vieira jibe | Sir Alex hopeful over Pogba


CARRICK UNFAZED BY CITY WIN

Michael Carrick admits he wasn't surprised by Manchester City's midweek win against Chelsea as the champions continue to focus on the Reds' own fixtures.

The midfielder did not watch Wednesday's clash on TV and is aware that the title is still in United's hands with a one point lead being taken into the next round of games. City are at Stoke on Saturday before United entertain Fulham on Monday night.

The onus is clearly on retaining the trophy because of the team's own actions, rather than hoping for Roberto Mancini's men to lose in one of their upcoming matches.

"I didn't see the City game as I was attending an event with the Manchester United Disabled Supporters Association," he told ManUtd.com. "In fact, I was just getting home when City scored the second goal.

"To be honest, I hadn't thought they'd slip up so to see them win wasn't a huge shock. It didn't surprise me at all. We can't rely on City to slip up - that's not how we want to win the league.

"We need to think about ourselves and do everything in our power to win our games. That's all we can do and that's all we're concentrating on."

More: Carrick primed for title charge | Blog: Don't fret over City

VIDIC ON... GOLF, MUSIC, MOVIES & MORE

Nemanja Vidic shed light on his life off the field when he answered fans' questions in a live webchat on ManUtd.com...

What kind of music do you listen to? - Hessa Al-Mannai, Doha
I listen to everything. Serbian music, rock and pop... I can listen to anything really with good rhythm but nothing that makes my ears hurt! Patrice Evra is the player who always sets up the music in the dressing room before the game. He's a good DJ.

Who was your idol when you were growing up? - Mark Corcoran, Dundrum, Ireland
I was a big fan of Red Star Belgrade and we had a great team, the best in our history, in 1991. The forwards and midfield players - like Savicevic, Prosinecki and Jugovic - were the players I loved to watch. When I was young, I had a video of them playing against Bayern Munich in the European Cup semi-finals and I watched it so many times, the video got stuck inside the machine. I also used to love watching Tino Asprilla at Parma and Gabriel Batistuta at Fiorentina.

Everyone needs to take a break from the daily routine. What do you do to relax? - Nafisa Bekar, Bolton, UK
I love to play golf. Last summer when I first had lessons I really loved it. Before I got injured, that was how I spent time for myself away from the pitch and home. I also like to play tennis as well, so I'm always around sport! But I enjoy time with my family as well.

What is your favourite film? - Shreyas Pimple, India
The Hangover and its sequel were the last movies I watched. They were funny. I think my favourite movie though is Castaway with Tom Hanks, where he is on the island. It's amazing how he performed in that movie. The weight he lost for the role was a big sacrifice. Man On Fire is also a good movie.

Which other teams do you enjoy following? - Glenn Nicol, Cairns, Australia
I don't really follow other teams, but I watch English football because I play here and I like to see the other teams and players. I like to watch Real Madrid sometimes because of Cristiano Ronaldo. I'm always interested in how he's doing. He's kept himself at a high level for the last six years and is still scoring the goals. I like watching other people I know, to see how they're doing, like Zoran Tosic at Spartak Moscow.

MoreRead the full webchatNemanja on track for July | Vidic: We're title favourites

 

This email was sent by:Manchester United
Sir Matt Busby Way Old Trafford, Manchester, M16 0RA, United Kingdom. This email is designed to be viewed in HTML email clients - if you cannot see the images above, please open an HTML-compatible email account and then register the new address with ManUtd.com. If this email has been forwarded to you by a friend, please register with ManUtd.com to receive the MU Foundation newsletter directly in future. The articles and images in this newsletter do not necessarily represent the views of Manchester United FC. If you do not wish to receive this email please send a blank email from your subscription address to unsubscribe@manutd.co.uk. We are committed to respecting your privacy. Please see our Privacy Policy. Please DO NOT reply to this email.

0 comments:

Post a Comment